Friday, November 16, 2007

The Other Ninety Percent

I agree 100% on your post. I know a lot about the whole top ten percent process, because I had to go through its flaws. You support your article with many good points. I understand how this rule is supposed to encourage students to try harder, but it really ends up punishing students. When I went to high school, I tried very hard, but ended up finishing just out of the top percent. My reward was not getting into the school of my dreams. You are right, this rule has many flaws. Students who work their butts off are not noticed by this rule. The top ten percent rule was created to diversify our Texas Universities, but there hasn’t been a huge increase in minorities. I believe the rule should be abolished, and Universities should start looking at more characteristics of a student. You have some good evidence in your commentary. I agree with everything. The top ten percent rule is not a good determinant of a good student, in my opinion.

No comments: